Can I resell Education software?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mariahlullaby, Nov 30, 2006.

  1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a


    Jan 19, 2005
    I am very interested in purchasing a new computer for next semester at school. I love my Powerbook, but it is just not up to everything I put it through; the beachball is almost continually spinning, and I am constantly trying to conserve RAM, batterly life, etc. I don't blame it...I love it just the same.

    To afford a new notebook (and I am looking at a 15 inch MPB w/ 2 GB of RAM), I will obviously need to sell my PB. Also, however, I am planning on selling my EDUCATION versions of Adobe Creative Suite 2 and Macromedia Studio MX. Is this allowed? I am not trying to make a profit, I simply want to recoup the money so I can purchase the universal Adobe suite next year. Could I sell the software installed on my computer (but include the discs, etc)?

    Lastly, what would you recommend for me? I've been hesitant to buy a MPB because I don't think it offers much of an upgrade from the MacBook.

    My uses: Heavy Photoshop, heavy web design (GoLive/Dreamweaver), some video editing (via iMovie), normal web stuff, Microsoft, etc. Obviously, a lot of my programs will be running through Rosetta until early next year. Also, I will be running it hooked up to a 23 in ACD.

    Is it worth the upgrade?

  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn


    Mar 23, 2005
    You should be able to resell it as long as the purchaser is also in education.

    The debate has been brought up before. I tried to find that information in the EULA for CS 2 with no real luck though.
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    First, I'm not sure if you can transfer the educational license to another student (check each license), but I do know that you can't sell it to anyone who wouldn't have qualified for the discount.

    Second, since you'd be using Rosetta on the MB (or MBP), I highly recommend waiting until the apps you use are native. Yes, you'll lose some more money on the PB, but odds are you can hold out until Leopard is released, saving that money to help offset the loss. Plus, RAM prices will fall after the holidays, so that would also help out, as I'm sure you'd need lots of it. Finally, there's a possibility that the MBPs might be revved so as to accept 4GB of RAM, which would be helpful to you (maybe).

    However, were you to buy now, the MB would work as well as the MBP, for all intents and purposes, with the apps you use now (which aren't 3D). Given that Rosetta would be heavily needed, I doubt you'd see much improvement from your PB, though.

Share This Page