Can I restore from older iOS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Melodeath, Jun 7, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2009
    My current 3GS is stuck in recovery mode and Apple hasn't even been able to help me get it out. My 3GS was on iOS 4.0.1. I have a backup from 7 days ago.

If I buy a new iPhone 3GS or an iPhone 4 (I think they come with iOS 4.3), will I be able to restore from my 3GS backup which has 4.0.1? I don't care about the iOS, I just care about getting my data back. That was the point of creating a backup.

What are my options?

2. macrumors 6502

Aug 24, 2005
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2009
  4. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Yes, you can always restore from an older backup version.
    You cannot restore from a newer firmware created backup.
    Lets say if your backup was made on 4.3.3 and you're trying to restore that backup on an iphone with 4.2.1 it will not go thru.
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2009
    So then it will just restore all my data, but the iOS 4.3 would remain? That would be fine

I spoke to Apple and the man I spoke was was "not confident" restoring from the backup would work since 4.0.1 is "so old" and the new phones ship with 4.3
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2009
    Can anyone else confirm restoring from a backup onto a newer iOS device should be fine?

Do I need to make an SHS blobs or anything before trying to restore the currently stuck iPhone?