Can I retrieve songs from ipod?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by anguscossie, Dec 20, 2003.

1. anguscossie macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of third party software that will allow me to retrieve the songs off my 2nd-gen ipod? My hard drive crashed and I lost all data. Songs were synched using Music Match, which according to Apple is one-way only.

I am hoping someone may know how I can retrieve the 1200+ songs Apple is telling me are lost forever ....

Thanks.

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Umm ... i think you should be able to just set it up and mount it as a hard drive to your computer ... and then just drag things from and to the iPod.

Not positive about that - my iPod is still in OPEN status on the APPLE website .. hopefully it will be here before the new year

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah you can, just search versiontracker.com and find a app to do it for you, there are tons out there.

iJon

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

apple hides the songs from the firewire drive. you have to use tinkertool to show invisible folders and then the ipod seperates them in folders of f1-x. its very annoying, programs work much better.

iJon

5. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Gotcha ....

hmm .. i have found that many invisible folders are visible when searching using the terminal ... sure it requires a little UNIX Commands knowledge, but it usually solves most of my problems

6. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

I recommend PodWorks. It takes a lot of the work out of it, and will rebuild your iTunes library for you too.

7. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Although I am the developer of these types of software...

If on Windows, you don't have many options to recover the music.

If on Mac, grab iPodRip (I wrote it) or PodWorks. I would recommend iPodRip because you can use everything in it free 10 times whereas PodWorks has a restriction placed on it.

Mat

8. anguscossie thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like if I'm on Windows (which I am), I might be out of luck. I looked on Versiontracker.com and nothing jumped out at me.

To iJon .... do you know of anything you can point me to on their site?

9. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet