Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anguscossie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
Does anyone know of third party software that will allow me to retrieve the songs off my 2nd-gen ipod? My hard drive crashed and I lost all data. Songs were synched using Music Match, which according to Apple is one-way only.

I am hoping someone may know how I can retrieve the 1200+ songs Apple is telling me are lost forever ....

Thanks.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Umm ... i think you should be able to just set it up and mount it as a hard drive to your computer ... and then just drag things from and to the iPod.

Not positive about that - my iPod is still in OPEN status on the APPLE website .. hopefully it will be here before the new year

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
yeah you can, just search versiontracker.com and find a app to do it for you, there are tons out there.

iJon

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by revenuee
Umm ... i think you should be able to just set it up and mount it as a hard drive to your computer ... and then just drag things from and to the iPod.

Not positive about that - my iPod is still in OPEN status on the APPLE website .. hopefully it will be here before the new year
apple hides the songs from the firewire drive. you have to use tinkertool to show invisible folders and then the ipod seperates them in folders of f1-x. its very annoying, programs work much better.

iJon

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by iJon
apple hides the songs from the firewire drive. you have to use tinkertool to show invisible folders and then the ipod seperates them in folders of f1-x. its very annoying, programs work much better.

iJon

Gotcha ....

hmm .. i have found that many invisible folders are visible when searching using the terminal ... sure it requires a little UNIX Commands knowledge, but it usually solves most of my problems

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Although I am the developer of these types of software...

If on Windows, you don't have many options to recover the music.

If on Mac, grab iPodRip (I wrote it) or PodWorks. I would recommend iPodRip because you can use everything in it free 10 times whereas PodWorks has a restriction placed on it.

Mat

anguscossie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
Sounds like if I'm on Windows (which I am), I might be out of luck. I looked on Versiontracker.com and nothing jumped out at me.

To iJon .... do you know of anything you can point me to on their site?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.