Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
The iMac's lcd is extremly gorgeous and I'm curious if I can use it as an external monitor once the technology becomes ancient inside of it.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, if you're handy with a screwdriver (among other tools) then you could potentially reuse the panel. However, using an iMac as an external monitor is not easy. It's not very workable. :(

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
There's no easy way. You would probably need an engineering degree... or turn on the computer, use a program like with an input like EyeTV.... in other words, it's not worth it.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
The iMac's lcd is extremly gorgeous and I'm curious if I can use it as an external monitor once the technology becomes ancient inside of it.

When the tech becomes old inside iMac, just sell it :confused:

Why do you have to keep your old computers?

Kane.Elson

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
When the iMac becomes so old it isn't handy anymore you wont think the LCD looks all that crash hot either.
If you are one of those people who needs to have the latest tech then just sell it. Heaps of people would love your old machine just look what gets sold on eBay.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
When the tech becomes old inside iMac, just sell it :confused:

Why do you have to keep your old computers?

I don't, but I've used the same external 19 inch LCD for the past 6 years and I'll probably keep using it as my external monitor until it burns out. The iMac's LCD is gorgeous and I'd hate to have to buy another 24inch LCD if I throw away an iMac

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I don't, but I've used the same external 19 inch LCD for the past 6 years and I'll probably keep using it as my external monitor until it burns out. The iMac's LCD is gorgeous and I'd hate to have to buy another 24inch LCD if I throw away an iMac

You dont throw out the LCD in iMac, you sell it. There is a difference.

Why did you buy iMac then if you want to keep the display?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.