Can I run a Shockwave-enabled web browser from a USB thumbdrive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by omgwut, Sep 12, 2006.

1. omgwut macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2006
    Okay, here's the thing... The iMacs at my school are locked down by the administrator so that none of us students can install anything on them. Flash is supported, but the Shockwave plugin is not, and there are a few games that I'd like to play with my friend that need it to run -- however, I've tried, and we can't install it.

What I want to do is find a way to install a Shockwave-enabled copy of Safari onto my USB thumbdrive, plug it in and simply run it from the external disk so that I can play my games in my freetime. Is this possible, and if so how can I do it? Which directories need to be present on the drive? Thanks!
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    OK, here's the thing... Safari uses the Flash support built into QuickTime or Adobe's Flash plug-in. Suffice it to say, QuickTime Flash support is not up-to-date. In addition to Adobe's Flash plug-in, Safari also uses Adobe's Shockwave plug-in. It does not have separate support for these formats. If you want to use the most recent versions of Flash and Shockwave on your school's Macs, you will have to ask your IT staff to install the latest Adobe plug-ins. There are no shortcuts to Glory.
  3. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006