Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveg56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2002
san ramon, ca
from my Ti book 800 DVI? I know that I can run a studio display from apple but they are just to pricey for me. Is the Dvi connector different that what the Dells and sonys use to connect additional LCD monitors? Also, can I use my powerbook while the lid is closed with a external keyboard and mouse? Sorry new to Apple products and just not sure.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Re: Can I run a windows based flat panel LCD...

Originally posted by steveg56
from my Ti book 800 DVI?

Short and sweet answer:

Yes.

I know that I can run a studio display from apple but they are just to pricey for me. Is the Dvi connector different that what the Dells and sonys use to connect additional LCD monitors?

Not any different at all, DVI is a standard connector, it's the same on all Tibooks, PCs and monitors etc. No problem here.

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Make sure you get a display that definitely has a DVI connector though. Some have just DVI, some have just VGA, and the pricier ones have BOTH.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Re: Re: Can I run a windows based flat panel LCD...

Originally posted by vniow

Short and sweet answer:

Yes.

Not any different at all, DVI is a standard connector, it's the same on all Tibooks, PCs and monitors etc. No problem here.

Slight correction there... Most modern DVI is standard, but there are something like 5 flavors of it. The current standard on the PB and most new LCDs is DVI-I. As long as you get a relatively new monitor (made within about the past 2 years), you should be fine.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
as na aove poster mentioned and i am re-iterating -
MAKE SURE IT IS DVI
- it may be VGA. i know that the hercules LCD line is VGA, sad they look good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.