can i run panther off of an external drive?!? HELP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thevessels, May 1, 2005.

1. thevessels macrumors regular

ok so i really want to run tiger - i have it and all , but a few of my apps i use once in a while hanvnt been upgraded for tiger yet .. so im scared to give it the go

but i was thinking . can i put panther on an external drive - format it as a system drive - and run off of that whenever i need the panther touch once in a while?

i searched everywhere but for some reason couldnt find any instructions on installing and choosing which system drive you wanna boot off of

can anyone give me a hand with this ? or link me to a site that can ?

thanks!!
    -chris

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sure can, in fact i am booting off of an External drive right now and have been for a few months now

to select what installation to boot from just open up system prefs and select startup drive

3. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I know you can but how?

When I got Tiger I wanted to put it on my 2nd HD inside my PowerMac and keep Panther on the other HD. When I was insalling Tiger it said that I could not nstall it on the 2nd HD. Thinking about it I could have made a clone of Panther on my 2nd HD and then probbly installed Tiger over the top of it. Would that have worked?

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

You're missing something. I'm not sure what, but boot from the Panther disc and start the installer. Look for buttons that say things like Customize and Options. You want to do a clean install of OS X on that external drive. I don't know of any reason it wouldn't work. I've done it many times.