Can I see what speed I'm connected at ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Montano, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Montano macrumors regular

I have a Linksys WMP54G wireless PCI card in my G4. Is there a way to see what speed it's connected at?

Thanks

2. iEric macrumors 6502a

Well..what kind of router are you using? If its a G router, the wireless card goes on G. If its is a B router, the card will go on B.
    I have a AX base and the same card as you and I put my base on 802.11g only. and it works.

3. Montano thread starter macrumors regular

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

EDIT: oops, I think I did not reply correctly to the question, sorry (and I cannot delete this post). But I know of no way other than to do a large file copy over the network, like a movie file, and time it out (although you will likely not get anywhere near the theoretical connection speed, but this will give you a real-world number to work with). Remember to multiply by 8 for Mbps if using a file size in bytes.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

At first glance I thought the answer was "no" - if you run ifconfig from the command line you don't seem to get that info. However when I looked at the display from menumeters, it correctly identifies my home 54Mb connection as well as the 11Mb connection that was available at work.

Right now I have no idea how they're doing that though.

6. Montano thread starter macrumors regular

What a great program Menumeters is !!! Thanks for turning me on to it:D