Can I send my files to their home?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qtip919, Aug 25, 2005.

1. qtip919 macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2002
    I was watching happy gilmore yesterday, and during the scene where he is screaming at the golf ball when he missed a putt -

"Why won't you just go home? Are you too good for your home!"

I got this thought:

Hey, is there an app or script out there that would be able to comb your hard drive for images: .jpg, .png, .gif, etc or documents: .txt, .doc, etc or music: .mp3, .rax, .wmv etc. etc.

and send them to locations which you could specify.

Anyone hear about something that would be able to do this?

Reason I ask:

I know spotlight basically eliminates the need to "remember" where my files are, but I would like to see information stored in its proper location regardless.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Well, that would play holy havoc with HTML support file graphics and any resource files that needed to be maintained in the same relative position to their "parent" files...
  3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Yes something like this is possible, if you tell the app/script to look in a certain folder. It wouldn't be too hard either.

Say you wanted all your pictures moved from you Desktop to you Pictures folder:
    mv ~/Desktop/*.jpg ~/Pictures
    mv ~/Desktop/*.tiff ~/Pictures
    mv ~/Desktop/*.gif ~/Pictures/"Animated Gifs"
    or music or movies:
    mv ~/Desktop/*.mp3 ~/Music/iTunes/"iTunes Music Library"
    mv ~/"My Downloads"/*.avi ~/Movies
    Add those lines, or what ever lines you choose into a text editor, save the file, give it executable permissions, and configure the crontab in /etc/crontab to run it every 10 minutes, every day, at startup or to your liking.
  4. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2002
    Now, I would only want to do this with the following:

Basically, the things for which we create folders...

the problem is, things "should" go in their folders, but we (darn users) get in the habit of downloading things to the desktop or some other random location. In time, things get disorganized. Users get "used" to having things in these odd locations and refuse to get organized. Enter search. Search eliminates the need to remember or even care where files are. The only problem with that is the simple fact that you need to know the name of the file or some other attribute.

But this doesnt scale out. I love coming across old files (pictures and music sepcifically) for which i didnt specifically intend to find.

This is the premise for my idea :)