Can I set up a Panther account in the Greek alphabet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DavidCar, Nov 8, 2005.

1. DavidCar macrumors 6502a

I'm attempting to learn the Greek alphabet, so I was curious if I could set up an account in the Greek alphabet where the Finder and TextEdit would always start up in Greek. I found I could set the time to display in Greek. TextEdit refuses to come up in Greek at startup, which is what I want, even though I can switch it to Greek afterward. Apparently the Finder doesn't have Greek resources, but could they be created? (OK, so "resources" is a term from Classic days, not OSX, but I'm sure there is an equivalent.)

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, as long as you enable Greek input and move Greek to the top of the languages list and restart. Everything should work in Greek, when possible. It works that way in Japanese.

3. DavidCar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried that, but I still got the American flag when I entered that account. If I then set it to Greek, it went back to the American flag when I started TextEdit. Then I tried deleting English to see if I could force it to come up in Greek, but then it came up in an oriental language, and the next time in it kept restarting the finder continually, so I had to delete that account.

4. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

David Car, if you want to use Greek under OSX and live anywere but Greece then you are in trouble! There is NO native support for Greek even if it says so, you have to install a patch called GRUpdate from Rainbow computer wich is the official Apple reseller for Greece. The problem is they won't give you the patch unless you buy a Mac with OSX from them - the force you to call and give them your mac id and then provide you with a password to get it. The GRUpdate provides you with a ton of new greek flags which you have to figure out which one works in a particular app. I attached a screenshot just to get you demotivated - 7 different Greek scripts that got installed somehow plus the 2 that came stock on Tiger - a total of 9 different greek scripts to be able to use all my fonts in all of my software. :(
    Apple has promised full native Greek support under Leopard - we are waiting and running out of patience!!!!!

Now in your case if you just want to type Greek in Finder and not in any app like Photoshop, illustrator, freehand etc then i think you'll be ok, just don't use any third party greek fonts, stick with the Unicode ones that came stock.

Attached Files:

5. DavidCar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow. And I thought that on a Macintosh it would "just work."

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Well, I live in Greece, and I never trusted Rainbow on anything, they seriously need to learn how to sell Macs. Anyway that GRUpdate you mention, I don't recommend it, because every time that Apple seeds an update, you must wait for Rainbow to make an update to this, too. Of course, they say that GRUpdate will work with any version of the OS, but the last time my father tried to install GRUpdate for Panther on his computer, it crashed the whole system (he had Panther), and he had to reinstall. I wouldn't recommend GRUpdate, unless you have to write Greek characters in Applications such as Photoshop, as you mentioned.

Although I believe that even these apps are upgraded to support Unicode Greek (at least Macromedia did that in Dreamweaver 8).

7. DavidCar thread starter macrumors 6502a

For what I wanted, I think I can create a Greek.lproj resource with a Greek menubar for TextEdit, but I don't see where to modify the menubar for the Finder. Any developers out there who can point me to the right file?

FWIW, it doesn't appear I can type unicode Greek and have it appear correctly in this message.

8. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

Yeah you have to set the encoding for your browser to Greek

9. DavidCar thread starter macrumors 6502a

But when I googled "grupdate" and found HelMug, that all appeared in Greek without changing settings. Maybe this website filters out the unicode and turns it into "? ? ? ? ? ?" which is what happened in the other message you sent me. I discovered that earlier when I clicked "Preview Post" after making a Greek transliteration of "Finder"