Can I short movies be made on CD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cloud9, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

I dont have a DVD burner. I was wondering if I could use imovie to make short 5 min slide shows but burn then on a Cd. Would they be playable in a DVD burner or anywhere?

Thanks

Barclay.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No, if you want videos to be viewable on a DVD player you need to burn them to DVD.

There is the option of burning as a Video-CD but iDVD and iMovie don't support that, I'm not aware of any program that will do it, VCDs have gone the way of the dodo.

3. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

It would be playable on any CD-Rom drive, which would include most DVD burners I would imagine. If you are wondering if it will be playable on a DVD player then maybe not.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

iMovie/iDVD won't help you here, but Toast can burn VCD and SVCD. Many DVD decks are happy to play these.

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I've made VCDs on a Mac a few years ago. I think it involved ffmpegx and some other shareware/freeware program. If you google it you should find lots of info on making VCDs on a Mac. It's all a bit confusing, but maybe it's simpler with Toast?

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Some console dvd players will play vcds, but they usually say it on the box. They will say "VCD" and/or "SVCD". Some will also say "mpeg", but in my experience that's a load of crap.

VLC (google it) will play vcds under OSX. The OS9 version never worked right for me.

As was stated, Toast will make both VCDs and SVCDs.

7. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok,

So for 100% compatibility I should burn a DVD. VCD may not work for a client.

Thanks

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Yes, there is no way to guarantee compatibility. Unless you know your client's set up.

9. Fedge macrumors regular

Fedge

For the record, Toast is one of those applications EVERYONE should have in their apps folder. It's more than paid for itself by now.

10. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I don't remember exactly what app I used, but a few years ago I burned some videos to CD's in the MPEG2 (DVD) format. I setup the files just as they would be on a DVD. The only difference was that I used CD media instead of DVD media. I tried it on several DVD players, including many older modes, and it played without a problem.

I used the site, http://www.videohelp.com/, and I used Windows XP.