Can I somehow install the Panther version of Preview on Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jalexster, May 3, 2005.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

This might sound a little weird, but I HATE the Tiger version of Preview. Key combinations are heavily changed, how it displays images by default (zoom on the center of the image, rather than the upper left), the key combinations required to advance to the next image (Can't use the space bar once you are at the end of the image you are currently viewing), the fact that you can't scroll around in an image with the arrow keys.

ARGH! I hate it all.

Anyway, is there some way for me to get my Panther CDs, and get Preview.app from that, copy it to my Mac, name it something different from Preview, and use it for my image viewing needs?

2. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, you can try copying the panther version from a friend or your old system and put it into your tiger install. But, since preview is a key application for any version of OS X, it might not work. And even if it did, it may cause problems, because it interferes with other key elements OS X uses.

If I were you, I would try a different program. Try GraphicConverter (if you don't mind it's shareware). I would leave Tiger's preview as-is.

It's best not to mess with apple's applications that came with a specific OS.

3. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did an archive and install, while retaining apps, so I no longer have the old version of Preview.

I've found a way of browsing around my images in Preview. Not perfect, but it seems to be working ok.

My number one complain though: Not being able to select the scroll tool for images. This means that the ONLY way of scrolling around is via the scroll bars. Very, very annoying.

4. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Did you try holding down the space bar while mousing over an image. Im not sure if this is what you're looking for?

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Agreed. The Tiger version of Preview is just plain bad.

Three biggest gripes for me.
    1. No keyboard command for Automatically Resize
    2. Default zoom sizes have no basis for use in reality
    3. No longer lists page counts, ie. Page 2 (of 200), the latter is missing.

6. djdawson macrumors member

djdawson

I also agree that the Tiger Preview is a step back. If it helps, though, the total page count is also up in the Title Bar of the window (I think it was there in Panther, too). Even so, these things bother me, too.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm 99.999% sure that even if you got a copy of the old preview, it wouldn't work.

8. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

I really like the new preview. I agree that there are some page number issues, but I have already reported them to Apple before the OS even was released. The number 1 issue I have is that preview now properly displays PDF page numbers but doesn't use them in print. If a PDF has some pages that aren't numbered they won't count in the print dialogue. This is very annoying.

9. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. Shift+Apple+R
    2. True. I also hate the fact that if you are, for example, scrolled to the bottom of an image and advance to the next one, you will be scrolled to the bottom of that one when it comes up aswell. Also applies to it you were scrolled to the top of the previous image when the next one comes up etc...

10. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

A generous user, who will go unnamed, sent me a ZIP of the old Preview. It works exactly like it used to. Aka: Good.

Is it just me, or does the new Preview app seem less like an app for viewing things, and more like an app for editing things?

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I fail to understand why they got rid of the next and previous buttons to advance to the next or previous image in your drawer. I find it annoying that I am forced to use the keyboard up and down arrows to do this.

12. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Can you send me a link to that, or email it to me? Thanks. danhd123 at mac dot com

13. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think the URL that I used has already been removed. Sorry. I could PM you with the name of the person who sent it to me.

14. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Sure, that works.

15. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Edit// I should mean to say 1. there are no keyboard shortcut for Zoom to Fit. Also, no preferences to set Preview to leave Automatically Resize checkmarked for any pdf file.

Some more gripes.
    4. Preview Preferences for the PDF tag to set Default document scale doesn't do anything. The PDFs come in scaled to some ridiculous zoom amount that puts scrolls bars on both edges.
    5. No way to turn off automatic drawers for multipage PDFs or animated GIFs. I hate drawers.

PS. you can use Preview 2.1.1 in Tiger.

16. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ctrl-Click on an empty section of the toolbar, click customize, and drag those buttons back on.

I don't mind using the keyboard up and down buttons. I just wish there was a way to scroll around using the keyboard. Or even directly with the mouse. Previously there were three options for scrolling around:

1. Arrow keys (My preferred option)
    2. Grab Tool (Apple+1)
    3. Scroll Bars

Now, the only option is the scroll bars. And scroll bars SUCK.

17. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Thanks I just did that.
    I totally forgot about that "feature".

18. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just to add to the "Missing in Preview 3.0": The Export function is gone missing, but that's OK since you now can choose file type under "Save as...", but the Option-butten when choosing format has gone missing, so you can no longer set a target size. (This was perfect for getting images under 100KB, e.g. so you can attach them here at MR...) :(

19. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

I used the Export a lot myself.I often had a 3D app open and do a screenshot to send to someone,export it,optimize it and off it goes.I dont know why they removed it.

20. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I did an archive and install with Tiger and it left Preview 2.1 in it. Just right click on the file and go to 'open with' and at least in mine there's the option for Preview 2.1.0

2.1.0 opens up no problem

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
  21. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a