Can I still buy applecare ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by igmolinav, Sep 25, 2006.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi !!!

Today is September the 25th. Exactly one year ago on

September 25th, 2005, I received an e-mail from Apple with my apple store order for my ibook G4. The e-mail was sent by confirmation@apple.com and had a summary of my order with the prices.

Also on September 25th, I got an e-mail from Apple E-mail Processor, (do_not_repply@apple.com), also with a summary of the order and prices.

However, on Sept. 27th, I finally got by e-mail the invoice for my order.

My questions are.

1) Is today the 25th, my last day to get apple care or my chance has expired, or do I even have chance until the 27th?

2) If I can still buy it, can I pay with my bank card, and what´s the price for apple care for the 12" ibook G4 ??

3) I am in Germany, (bought the computer in the US), but I will phone Apple in the US. How do I get a proof of my purchase for Apple care?? Can they send me the document through e-mail just like they did with the other notes and invoice ??

4) I may sell the ibook in less than two months in order to buy a Macbook, will the new owner be able to use the apple care even though I was the one who bought it?

5) Apple care will entitle me to two more years of (unlimited?) worldwide guaranty, isn´t??

Thank you very much,

Igmolinav

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You can buy Applecare after your complimentary warranty runs out, but it'll still only last you until the 2nd year of your ownership is up.

It won't give you an additional two years. It gives you another year on top of the free Applecare that Apple gives you when you buy the computer.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

This isn't true. AppleCare is a warranty for three years from the date of purchase, so you would be extended for two additional years.

And, it is transferable in the event you sell your machine.

I would guess that today is your last day to purchase, but the person at Apple whom you call may be able to take care of you even if you are off by one day.

As to price, I'm not sure what the going rate is for the 12" iBook G4. Probably around $150, but that's a wild guess.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Then it's changed since I last remember. I recall it only being an additional year before, so I never purchased it with any of my Macs, not even the most recent iBook I bought.

5. dcv macrumors G3

No, it does give you an additional two years cover since it is a 3 year plan.

igmolinav, go to the Apple Support pages and on the right hand side ("About Your Support Coverage") you can enter your iBook's serial number so you can check exactly how many days are left of your original (first year) AppleCare.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You should bear in mind that goods bought in the EU are automatically covered for two years now, so all you get for your wonga is one extra year on repairs and the phone "support". You'd probably get more useful support on this site anyway...

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Unfortunately he bought his iBook in the US, so this nice EU benefit won't apply.

8. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

for how long has this been the case?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's better than that:

http://money.guardian.co.uk/howtocomplain/story/0,,1738830,00.html

10. calculus Guest

calculus

Another benefit of living in so called 'rip-off Britain'!

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sorry, I didn't check that small detail. :eek:

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

actually the EU doesn't give you a two year warrranty but rather it gives you two years to discover that your computer had a defect at the time of purchase....it's the condition of the computer at the time of purchase that's warrantied by the EU act and not the ongoing condition

any defects found within the first 6 months are assumed to have been in existence at the time of purchase but after 6 months the burden is on the consumer who then is stuck with having to show that the defect was in existence at the time of purchase and isnt a hardware failure that happened later....and that might or might not be easy

That's the EU thing anyway, it sounds like the UK has a much stricter set of consumer protection laws if only people would pursue repairs using these laws