can i stop iphoto from launching when i insert my thumb drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ericac, Jan 14, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2009
    when i insert my thumb drive (usb) iphoto launches. it doesn't offer to import, just gets in my way! i'm sure there are a few photos on the drive, but the bulk of what's on there is other data types, text, pdf, a bunch of stuff...

so can i make iphoto stop launching?
    tia, erica
  2. macrumors 6502

Nov 28, 2007
    Saw this on another forum for iPhoto '08. Hope it helps you.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2009
    right, i know about that preference... but I do have a camera I use, too, and like that iphoto launches when I plug that in. I also have an external harddrive that plugs in via usb and iphoto does not launch. I was hoping I could flag the drive somehow as "don't launch iphoto when mounting".
  4. macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Sep 7, 2005
    You could try System Preferences -> CDs and DVDs -> When you insert a picture CD [Ignore].

I don't know if that counts for USB drives as well, though.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2009

It sounded good :D but unfortunately did not change the behavior...
  6. macrumors 68040

Oct 9, 2008
    By any chance do you have a folder named DCIM on the flash drive? iPhoto is expecting a similarly named folder when you connect a digital camera so when the Mac detects a connected device with such a folder it may auto-launch. Just regular JPEGs on a flash drive shouldn't cause it to open like that.
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2009
    Ah ha!! No, I did not have a DCIM, but in that vein, I renamed "images" to something else and iphoto quit launching :D

yay, thank you very much!!!
  8. macrumors newbie

May 14, 2009
    who'd of thought

This same issue was making me crazy with a kingston 4GB thumb drive. None of my other drives behaved this way - so I assumed it was something about the identifier branded to the kingston drive. Turns out I also had a folder called "images". Renamed it - problem solved. I assume this was a result of one of those "intelligent" upgrades to IPhoto. I rather strongly suspect we are not the only ones to go through this recently...

Thanks guys!