can i switch the hard drives on these two ibooks?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tuker, Jun 30, 2005.

1. tuker macrumors newbie

I have one 800mhz ibook g4 and one 900 mhz ibook g3 (the dual usb white one that looks almost just like the g4 one) Anyways, the hard drive in the g4 one is dead and I want to put the g3 one's hard drive into the g4. My question is, i have all my stuff on the g3's hard drive, if i took it out and put it in the g4, would it work just like on the g3 one or would i have to reformat it?

2. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

are you wondering only if it can be done? or are you going to eventually take it to an apple store or something, or is it a do-it-yourself project

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If you're asking if the 2.5" hard drive will fit in the G4, it sure will.

I've read both sides of the stories on the other question. Sometimes people say it worked, sometimes people said they had to reformat it. I guess you could try and see, since you'll need to replace the G4's HD anyway.

Why not sell the G3, and buy a new HD for the G4. This way you aren't stick an old HD in a new computer. The G3's HD will probably die soon too. Why not start fresh?

Just some thoughts!

-Ryan

4. tuker thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm doing it myself. My question is would I have to reformat the hard drive or would it work right away?

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

:cool:

6. tuker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Does anyone know a good price for a 40 gb hard drive for the ibook then?

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

My suggestion would be to post a WTB: in the marketplace and see what offers you get!

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Replacing hard drives in iBooks is a $#^$%@, it is not for the mechanically faint of heart. Doing it twice (to swap) would be double-trouble.

Before you contemplate this, Google for some videos and instructions for iBook takeapart.