Can I sync up Gmail to Mail?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GreyFox1221, Aug 15, 2005.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Yea you can now.
    I used to have my gmail account just forward to my account, but now you can set it up as a POP account in any mail app and it works great.

Log into your Gmail accound and find the account prefs. It has a very detailed guide on how to set up your account in Apple's Mail app.
  2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    Yep :p Gmail truely is the best WebMail/POP based mail system. Its so speedy online even with a 56k modem (which I was stuck on on the Island of Brac, Croatia)
  3. Piarco macrumors 68030

Jun 24, 2004
    Just when I was wondering whether this is possible or not, up pops this thread :D
    But.... after following the instructions, I'm still getting no joy. Keep getting a {The server error encountered was: The connection to the server "" on port 995 timed out.} message. I don't suppose its a case of waiting for a while (i.e. 15min/couple of hours) for the POP request to kick in? Or is it to do with Mail in Tiger as the walk through is for Panther? I've double and triple checked the settings, even having the screen caps from the walkthrough alongside my own settings, and everything looks koscher, but something ain't quite right... any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
  4. geese macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2003
    London, UK
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Ya who? Sorry, but Gmail all the way!!!

But to answer the question, I don't believe it used to be possible, so maybe it's still not possible. Maybe things have changed.
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think it depends on whether you have basic or premium Yahoo mail. Last time I tried a basic account (last year), I couldn't get it to work via Yahoo. Same address once upgraded to premium, success.
  7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    POP is nice and all, but I'm holding out for IMAP. With POP your webmail inbox and your POP inbox don't truely sync (read msgs etc), with IMAP it should all match up perfectly. I wouldn't even mind paying Google a small fee for the service.
  8. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    addresses though?

so- i've got "mail" setup to receive my g-mail stuff
    that works fine

(except it keeps asking me for my password even-though i've given it to the prgm...annoying but i can deal)

my real question/prbm
    is using 'Mail' w/ 10.3.9
    how can i import my addresses?
    or can i do this w/ "adresses" (another prgm i know very little about)

is there a simple 'import' method?
    and then (as followup)
    is there a way to use my g-mail addressbook to be the importer? ie can i export my gmail addresses?
    or do i have to revert BACK to my yahoo addresses where i know i can export a .cvs (?) file...etc

any ideas?
  9. gangst macrumors 6502a

Dec 27, 2004

You may have had the same problem as I did, logon to your Gamil account online and go into Settings, at the top click Forwarding and POP and make sure that POP is enabled. This should thenallow Mail to set up your Gmail account successfully.
  10. zforrester macrumors member

Jun 12, 2005
    Absolutely, in fact, its pretty easy! I've jsut done a tutorial on this very subject at my website Check it out!
  11. GreyFox1221 thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 16, 2005
    That is the best blog ever. I posted it on
  12. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    Yeah, great blog Zach. I enjoy anything with screenshots quite a bit. Especially when they're Mac-Tacular.

You should definitely talk about managing pictures using finder, since Tiger added the "slideshow" feature. I find it keeps me from dealing with iPhoto when checking out my digital pictures. Maybe something about Automator too, since it's a really hearty yet easy to use utility that even noobs can pick up and do things with.

BACK ON TOPIC: To add to this, it's worth noting the HTTP plugin avaliable for mail, which is a must-have if you want to do the whole Hotmail thing w/out shelling out $$$ for Hotmail Plus. The one from Daniel Parnell is fantastic! Avaliable here:
  13. zforrester macrumors member

Jun 12, 2005
    Wow, sweet, thanks a lot man, really appreciate it! Spread the love!

This will def. be in the iPhoto Tutorial. I love iPhoto, too, but on my g3 iMac, it's just too slow to really impress my Windows friends. Slideshow solves the problem nicely