Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8thMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
I have a G4 Powermac with two harddrives: HD(a) is 30GB and contains my OS and principle apps. HD(b) is 120GB and has all my downloads, videos, etc. I would like to replace HD(a) with a 250GB drive. Can I transfer the contents from HD(a) to HD(b), reconfigure the jumpers on HD(b) to make it the master disk, then install the new 250GB as the slave disk? Would this work, or is there a better way to conserve my OS, settings, apps, etc.? Hope this makes sense, sorry about the noob question.

8thMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Okay, thanks for the leads. So I'm assuming that since I need software for this, I cannot simply copy my OS from one disk to the other and expect it to work.:confused:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
This software will copy the entire OS, so it will work on another disk. After you clone your drive, reboot and hold down the option key. You'll get a list all possible devices to boot from. One should be your old hard drive and one should be your new hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.