Can I trust apple to not send me a refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by oSCho, Mar 19, 2004.

1. oSCho macrumors newbie

I recieved my PowerBook wednesday and it is scratched (bumped) so I immediatly called Apple and told them what the problem was. The person on the phone said that I would get an other one, that TNT would come and take mine and would bring me a new one under 10 days. He also said that I could use this one until TNT comes...

My question is, can I be sure I'm recieving a new? How can I verify this?

(Sorry for the english I'm from Switzerland.)

Thank you all for your answers!

2. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

Legally, Apple cannot send you a refurb laptop. If you purchased a 'new' system from them, that is what you'll receive.

I had the same problem when I purchased my new 15.2 g4 powerbook. They took a while sending the replacement - but my new model was perfect in every way.

-- Andrew.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If they were really lying and selling refurbs as new, why would they also sell refurbs at a discount? They would just be losing money. It was probably damaged in transit. It sounds like they are taking good care of you--enjoy your new computer!

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

if the box is sealed and is the "original," then it's not a refurb. (refurbs come in generic box, from what i've been told.)

it is illegal (in the u.s., at least) to repackage even an unused but once opened product as "new." if apple was being so cheap and tried to get around something that is a basic given for every product retailers, they wouldn't have lasted this long in the business.

i think you are being a bit paranoid. ;)

btw, where are you in switzerland? i was in geneva for two years and traveled around a lot within switzerland - one of the most beautiful and my favorite countries in the world... i miss living there.

5. win_convert macrumors member

Yes, how is Switzerland? How hard would it be to just pick up your stuff and move over there? I am seriously thinking of ditching Australia and moving to Geneva or Zurich or something.

6. oSCho thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thank you all for your answers! I guess i'm being a bit paranoid.

Switzerland? Cool, I love it here... things can get a bit expensif though...

I live in Lausanne.40 min from Geneva. I guess anyone would love it here in Switzerland.

Before living here I lived in the States, in Seattle!

So give me a call when your here :) I'll show you arround!

7. haiggy macrumors 65816

Win_convert, don't you have that locust plague in Australia?

8. mark_wilkins macrumors member

I've had a lot of equipment replacements in the last few months trying to get a subtle problem solved with my G5, and they've always sent me new replacements.

Their warranty rules state that for typical warranty replacements they can use a refurbished unit at their option, but they often don't, particularly if it's a relatively new machine.

Also their policy says a DOA machine always gets a new replacement, and perhaps they designated your machine DOA since it was damaged out of the box.

-- Mark