Can I try it (MBP) before I buy it at an Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Big Boss Man, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    If I go to an Apple Store and purchase a MBP, will they let me try it and inspect it in the store before I take it home? I am talking about the actual computer I would take home not just trying out a display model. I would like to get a 15" MBP, but that whole thread about grainy displays has me worried. Do you think they would be willing to let me inspect the display first?
  2. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    They should let you open it up and check it out. I've seen/heard of people doing it before, so there shouldn't be a problem.
  3. Boxer macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2006
    Overland Park Kansas
    That should not be a problem. I would think they would encourage it. I would also be a little suspect if they said "no, you may not open and look at it". You should be good.
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
  5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004

after you buy it? yeah, they should let you open it in the store after you buy it.......the title of this thread says "...try it (MBP) BEFORE...." you buy it though and if that's what you want to do, I don't think they'll let you open packages without buying them first
  6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

Sep 10, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    You cannot open it before you buy it, but they're fine with you opening it and inspecting it after you pay. I did this with my iMac because I didn't want to drive an hour back to the store if something was wrong with it.
  7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, you definitely can't open it before you buy it. Why? If you open it, Apple can't sell it as new to the next customer. They would take a 10-15% hit for every MBP you open.
  8. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Dec 4, 2005
    they wont say "no, you may not open and look at it", but they could quite possibly not let you return it for a small defect, ie pixel problems, etc. They would mostlikely try to get oyu to send it to applecare before replacing it with a new unit. This was my experience twice with two lemon-ed macs.
  9. Big Boss Man thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    I would definitely be willing to commit to buying one contigent on the display being as good or better than the demo model on the floor. How difficult would they be about me asking for another one if I was not happy with the display? Are they just going to tell me to send it to AppleCare? If that is the case, I might just order from MacMall instead.
  10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    no, you definitely cannot open it and try it before buying it. that would be dumb of them, because they would lose money on each and every computer that someone opened and then decided they didn't want.

if you buy it and then find a problem, you can call applecare and they'll decide to either exchange it or fix it.
  11. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2006
    They'll let you return it for another one for the 10% restocking fee. You can't just keep opening boxes and sending them back until you find one you like. You have to formally return it, pay the fee, and buy another one.

If you don't want to pay the restocking fee, it goes to applecare.
  12. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    this is an excellent idea, OP, and I think new mac-buyers should take note. Why drive home to discover a problem later? Next mac I buy will be opened in the store, thanks for the tip :)
  13. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Easy way to solve this issue is to have them add any additional RAM as part
    of your purchase, then of course bench test it before you roll out of there.

Either way, just tell the store manager that you'll buy it, but you want it bench tested before you leave the store.
  14. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

May 1, 2005
    Florida West Coast
    My local Apple Store has been pretty good about any problems I've had when first buying a computer. They will not open it until I buy it but after that if I have opened it in the store and seen any dead pixels or other problems they have given me a new one on the spot. Never a problem.
  15. sunrobby macrumors regular

Apr 17, 2006
    in my country, they let me open it BEFORE i pay for it. When i bought my MBP, i opened it before i pay and i did the hardware test. The first MBP fail the test, saying that some error occurred on the hardware and the MBP got very hot. So they let me open the second MBP, and the second one pass the test so i took the second one. I dont know what they'll do with the first MBP i opened. But i got the perfect MBP, it doesnt have heat issue :)
  16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    You wouldnt buy a car without looking at it would you? The fact that we rarely check out stuff in store is that its a slight inconvenience for everyone and is usually a waste of time as the product is brand new and 99.9% of the time perfect.

Well make it 99%... damn Sony crap!
  17. zakatov macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2005
    South Florida
    You WILL NOT be allowed to open the box before you buy it. Doing so will cause all kinds of complications. There is a 10% open box restocking fee if there's nothing wrong with the computer (as determined by the Geniuses), so what would happen if you opened the box and just changed your mind about the purchace? How would they enforce the 10% restocking fee? Or what about dead pixels? They will not take back a CPU with only one dead pixel, but you will not want to buy it. Will you pay the 10% fee before trying another CPU without buying it first?
  18. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2005
    Well we should all move there then...
  19. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2005

While I wish they would put 5 MBP's in a line up and you get to pick your favorite one, sometimes you just have to play with the hand that has been dealt...(unless something is seriously wrong with it...then take it back!)
  20. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    i seriously doubt there are pixels on CPU:p
  21. EricChunky macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2006
    In London Regent Street The Genius Said:

No Need To Open it. Just pay and try watever you like for 14 days. You are free to return it for whatever reason, and get a replacement or refund whichever you prefer.

So basically i buy it n sit aside to check for dead pixels.
  22. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    cool, no restocking fee?