1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Can I Uninstall Lion Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Alameda, Jun 27, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

My friend downloaded and installed Lion Server onto my MacBook Air. I don't see any purpose to running a notebook as a server. I have two questions:

1) Is there a performance penalty to have Server installed, if it isn't configured to do anything?

2) Can I uninstall it? If so, how? About This Mac reports the OS as being Lion Server, so I assume I can't simply drag the server icon from the Applications folder to the trash.

Thanks you in advance!

2. macrumors 6502a

1. There should be little or no performance penalty, especially if none of the server services are enabled. There is a slight disk space penalty for running server ... OS X Lion requires 7GB of disk space, while OS X Lion Server requires 10GB, about 40% more, although it's only 3 GB more.

2. Uninstall it by installing another OS (e.g., OS X Lion) on the same partition. During installation, you will have the option to erase the existing boot partition though that is not absolutely necessary.

3. macrumors 6502

Ouch! I have to reinstall Lion? Yikes!!!

4. macrumors 6502a

Or something. Since your friend installed OS X Lion Server it's only fair that your friend installs OS X Lion too, no?

BTW, you could hold off until ML is released in July and start with a clean install of that.

5. macrumors 6502a

Do you have TimeMachine backups?

You can reboot and restore from a TimeMachine backup and get rid of that horrible piece of crap software known as Lion Server. I did it on my server!

6. macrumors member

It's annoying to remove typically, but here are some basic instructions.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4827

7. macrumors 6502

8. macrumors 6502

Oh, I don't think it's horrible. I've set up servers under Solaris and Linux before, and Apple's user-friendly front-end looks fantastic! It's just that I have no need for something like it on my notebook.

9. macrumors newbie

To uninstall Mountain Lion Server, just drag it to the trash.