Can i update my current IMAC to an Intel Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jjstokes344, May 26, 2006.

1. jjstokes344 macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2006
    I brought my Mac around November 05 before they came out with the Intel based iMac's. I was wondering if i have to buy a new IMAC or if i can just send my current one and have them update the hardware, and if they can how much you think it would cost. Thanks
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    You have to buy a new one - the machines are utterly different internally.
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Nope, you have to buy a whole new iMac (it's iMac, not IMac or IMAC) if you want an Intel machine.
  4. imacintel macrumors 68000

Mar 12, 2006
    Yes, the machine is utterly different internally(HD,Processor,etc.). But also the PowerPC chip is soldered on to the board, and the intel chip is in a socket, making it overly labourful to take off the chip.:)
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
  6. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Dec 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    looks like we bought our iMacs the same time, soemtimes i wish i would have waited that 2 months, because virtually there is no way they can change the hardware to intel. sorry =(
  7. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    You could always sell and then use that money to upgrade. Wouldn't it be sweet if Apple treated it's customers like that though? "Send us your Mac. And we'll send it back...better than ever."
  8. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Buy applecare, magically make your imac fail 3 times requiring repairs. After 3rd repair demand a refund, apple refund you full cost and you spend that money on an intel imac.....