Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
Can I upgrade my IPODs Hard drive?
I currently own the 5gb model and I don't care too much about voiding the warranty, what I really want is a 40gb+ ipod (for mp3s and HDD). Would a standard travelstar 40gn (2.5inch drive not 1.8inch) drive fit inside my ipod case, would I have to remove the back, and if so what should I place there instead, any clever suggestions (besides tape!). I really don't mind taking the whole thing apart and throwing out the back metal if need be.
Please include hints tips etc... Would the plugs be the same for the travelstar and the current HDD in the ipod (when I was researching that point I heard many contradictory opinions)

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
Also, do you think a fast, but large hard drive would work in the ipod, like the ibm travelstar 32gh, or 48gh? (the 60gh is not worth the extra money)

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
maybe you could rip out everything but the hard drive, take that apart, and hook it up to a western digital caviar :D :D :D

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I haven't been looking, but I haven't even heard of anyone who's managed to open an iPod.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Oh wait, yeah I have... Macworld Australia managed to rip the back of the iPod off by dropping it onto the road while traveling at 40kmph (from memory).

As you do.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
you can take the back off of the iPod quite easily, actually.. but you just have to be VERY VERY careful... I've heard of many people doing this (obviously you haven't been reading much at iPoding.com... they just love to take their iPods apart!!)

And, going back to the main question, I've only heard of people replacing the hard-drives with either the 10-gig or the 20-gig drive from Toshiba (the same company which made the one used in the iPod).. so I don't know if it will work or not....

irmongoose

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Well there you go. Just goes to show how much I know about mutilating iPods!

I think I'll leave this thread to people who know what they're talking about :)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by Beej
Oh wait, yeah I have... Macworld Australia managed to rip the back of the iPod off by dropping it onto the road while traveling at 40kmph (from memory).

As you do.

I hope that's not standard procedure... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.