Can i upgrade the processor of my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iarslan, Aug 8, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

hello!

I got a Macbook Air yesterday its 13" 256gb model and now i want to upgrade the processor from standard i5 to i7. Is this possible? can apple do it for me? obviously i will pay the extra charges but i dont know if this is actually possible.

Please let me know.

Thanks guys

2. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

No, you can't. What you buy is what you get.

3. macrumors regular

Your only option would be to return it and reorder the i7 model...

4. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It's soldered on to the motherboard, so you'd better be really good with a soldering iron :)

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! Does it work same way with the hard drive? I have 256gb flash and if I ever want to upgrade to 512gb is that possible?

6. Zach Vega, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

macrumors regular

Zach Vega

7. macrumors regular

You have up to 14 days from the date of purchase to return it and get the one with the faster CPU.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!

9. macrumors 65816

My first question would be why? Unless you have a specific need for the i7 I'd stick with the i5. I went for the i7 on my 2011 MBA, but given my usage if I had a do over I think I'd go with the i5. I wouldn't go with the i7 over the i5 because you 'think' you need a faster processor. If you 'know' you need a faster processor it's a different story, but there aren't a lot of cases where the i7 is a must have. Upgrading to a larger SSD is probably a better use of your money and certainly far more doable.

10. macrumors 603

thekev

This would be pointless anyway. The final cpu step on the Air is beyond negligible, and even if you could, why would you drop $300~ on the part (according to intel's lookup) to do it yourself? If that one is too slow, you should just return it in favor of a macbook pro.