can i use a 4.1 system on my Mac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cb911, Aug 14, 2002.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm think about getting some speakers. i'll probably get the Altec Lansing AVS500. it's a 4.1 system and i can get it for pretty cheap. i was just reading a speaker review at insidemacgames.com and it said that OS X supports surround, but the headphone jack can only output 2 channel sound. i'll probably still go for the AVS500s, because 4 speakers would have to be louder than 2, right?

and is there any way i could get the use of all 4.1 channels from my Mac without buying any expensive hardware?

i'll probably still get the AVS500s in a couple of days, but i was just wondering about the future of Macs and surround, and if there is any way i could get surround from my TiBook?

2. vniow macrumors G4

If you want 4.1 or more from your Tibook, you're probably going to have to get a splitter cable at Radio Shack or something. Make sure it's one that splits a stereo channel twice, not a mono, but. you'll only get a duplicate signal out of the back speakers, though. Unless the speaker system you mention has a S/PDIF input, then you can buy something like the Sonica and hook it up to that, but that's about it for your Tibook. Creative Labs offers a 4.1 card for the Mac, but it's only PCI, so unless you have a Powermac, you're stuck with 4-channel stereo, unless there's a USB to 4.1 dongle thingy out there that I don't know about yet...

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have the Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 (4.1 system) in NJ. Here's how we (my father and I) got it set up. We went through all the wiring for the speakers to the sub, the sub to the outlet, etc. However, since there are two audio jacks for audio (one for front/rear) and only one is avaiable, some sort of audio Y-wire or audio splitter is needed to get the full effect. Right now I have the rear jack plugged in so I still get the two channels for the back, plus the sub.

If you want to get 4 channels, plus the sub, you will need some sort of setup (Y-wire, splitter) to get all the channels.

4. vniow macrumors G4

Y-splitter! Thanx KC, I knew what it was, I just forgot what it was caled, hate it when that happens. :p

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think it's called Alzhimers.

But for someone at ages 17 to about 39 it's called Young-timers. :p

6. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

so all i need is the cable that splits from stereo to headphone jack connections? sounds easy. i've already got the speakers now and i'll get that splitter cable tonight.

7. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

8. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

i had a look at that sonica thing, but i couldn't find much, no, i couldn't find any info on it. what does it do? and how much does it cost? i don't want anything too expensive...

9. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

why 4.1

Wouldnt you like 5.1 better check out www.midiman.com as they have a product called sonica
    Oops my bad it requires a 5.1 reciever and speakers, oh well
    good luck!

10. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

D0ct0rteeth posted that link to Sonica, i was wondering what it was. so it's only good for a 5.1 system? guess i don't have to worry about that then...

oh well, i'm going to Tandy now to see if they can help me with this.

11. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

was wondering the same thing, checked out the link, but couldn't find much

12. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Nah - it's called CRAFT...

Can't Remember A F*cking Thing

:D

13. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

well i just got an adapter so that the two plugs convert to one and i can just plug it into my TiBook. it's awesome!!:D