Can I use a USB splitter to charge 2 iPhones from 1 socket?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Amad3U5, Dec 8, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I have one iPhone 3GS and just received my new iPod Touch 5. I only own one wall charger, and because the connectors are different in both of my devices, I found myself regularly having to switch the connectors around :mad:. I thought of buying another wall charger, but then I decided that it would be easier and cheaper just to buy a $3 USB splitter of Amazon, so that I can switch my devices around quickly, and even charge them simultaneously.

I just wanted to check if this would actually work, and if anyone has had any past experience with this kind of thing. :)

2. macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I expect it'd work but take a fairly long time to charge both devices at once... I'm a little confused about what you mean by splitter, is it a usb hub?

3. thread starter macrumors member

I just mean something like this.

4. macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Should work fine, but you will have your 1 amp charger charging 2 devices so expect it to take a while to charge if you're charging them both at the same time. :)

5. macrumors member

If you do attempt to try the usb splitter please post your results?

6. macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

If you use an unpowered hub, the iPhone will only draw the 250 milliamps from the port, which means it will take roughly twice as long to fully charge over plugging it right into your computer.

7. macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

Yes however it will take twice as long to charge (So basically you may as well charge them separately)

8. macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Can I use a USB splitter to charge 2 iPhones from 1 socket?

I have/ recommend this:
    PowerGen Dual Port USB 2.1A 10W AC Travel Wall Charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices- White
    http://amzn.com/B0073FE1F0
    9$
    It works great. I charge my iPhone 5 and battery case with it separately. It also works with charging my iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5 at the same time. It is 2.1 amps of charging power which is great for charging 2 apple non-tablet devices at once.

9. macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

not a computer usb splitter but a wallcharger with 2 USB ports-yes.