Can I use any external CD/DVD drive for my MBA??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vakej, Feb 19, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Hello:

I live in Chicago and NYC and NO apple store has the external super drive in stock...no joke. :eek:

I purchased an external cd drive from Target and my MBA couldn't read it (it could be an issue with the drive...who knows).

So my question is, should any external CD/DVD drive work for my MBA, or do I need the apple super drive??

Thx,
    V

2. macrumors 65816

tMac85

3. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

Nearly any external drive should work. I have a $49 20x SuperDrive-DL that I got from Best Buy, and if it works for me, it should work for you.

TEG

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Make sure you have an AC adapter. You only have one port on the MacBook Air.

5. macrumors regular

I used my Mom's Sony DVD burner that was USB. Worked great.

Of course, it did have it's own power source.

6. macrumors regular

gsmumbo

I am using a DVD burner from my compaq desktop in a hard drive enclosure and it works perfectly.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for responding. Later in the afternoon the apple store received a shipment, which included the external super drive. I picked one up and it works perfectly! ;)

8. macrumors newbie

Yeppers

Any cd drive should work but you could probably find the apple superdrive at best buy, you can here in boise, id so i could imagine you could there

:cool::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::cool:

9. macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Re : Yeppers

Are we going to learn to read more than just OP, and probably thread's dates?