Can I use Apple flat panel with my PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by c23roo, Aug 9, 2004.

1. c23roo macrumors regular

Until my wife's PC gets really slow (and we save up the cash for a new Mac dual G5 - or whatever's really smoking when we finally get the cash! ;) )...

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use one of the Apple flat panel monitors with the PC (a Dell).

Are there any third-party flat panel monitors that would work for both platforms (Mac & PC)?

Thanx.

2. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

The new displays will work if you have dvi in on your video card, the old plastic ones will work but you must buy an adc (apple display connecter) converter.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In answer to your second question, most if not all flat panels will work on a new Mac, without any adaptor, since Apple gave up on ADC.

Apple and Dr. Bott sell an adaptor for connecting an ADC monitor to a DVI output. They cost around $100.00. I have one and it works just fine on my PC. The only thing to keep in mind is to power down the adaptor's power supply before reconnecting it to ADC.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

If your thinking of picking up one of the new Apple Displays, you are a very lucky person. I saw one in person for the first time yesterday. I was stunned by its simplicity/beauty. They really are amazing. Good luck.

5. zv470 macrumors 6502

I would wait, purchase the monitor when you buy the G5, since you can't get an extended 3 year AppleCare warranty on a monitor by itself. Sorry... correction... I was told you can, but Apple sell it on a year by year basis and its hyper expensive. :eek:

6. zv470 macrumors 6502

woops forgot to add...

ps. I saw the new 20" today, wow very nice, but I have trouble deciding which design is nicer. I still love my old school 20" Cinema Display. :) I'll probly still use it with my next 12" powerbook in 2 years time.