Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFredG5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Boston,Mass
Hey guys I'm new here and this is my first post.

I just bought the new 24" iMac and I looked at the backup discs and they said it could install OSX Tiger. I also have an old iBook G4 I got my moms friend who moved. I know the iBook could handle 10.4 as it has 10.3.9 now but what I was wondering was. If I could install the OS on the iBook from the iMac backup discs. I but the disc in the iBook and it wanted me to restart to begin the installation of OSX but I quickly backed out. Do you guys think If I proceed with the installation it will install smoothly or, should I just forget about it. Thanks

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
You will need a retail copy of OSX for the iBook, these "Backup" disks can *supposedly* only install in the kind of machines it came with... I'd try anyways... just to know, but it is sure in violation of the EULA, if you do care. Unless you got the upgrade to Leopard, in that case you have 2 licenses, I do not see why not.

Macmannsd

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
I was able to take the Tiger 10.4 install disc from my mini and put it on my iBook G4 1.2ghz. It was successful. But to be honest, they really had the same guts so it isn't a fair comparison. By most accounts, you need to have either a basic Tiger install disc, or a backup disc for your specific model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.