can i use eye tv to play games on mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Oct 8, 2005.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2004
    just wondering if i could use eye tv here to play console systems on my 20 inch display? I see eye tv has the correct inputs to do this just wondering if any one else has done this and if i should be aware of any issues? :confused:
  2. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Short Answer: Yes!

Long Answer: NO! Because of the delay and lag time between your game system and the computer (caused by the eyeTV or any other TV to Computer Device) by the time you see an enemy on your screen you would already be dead. The only way around this is via PCI Video-in cards where the lag time is reduced greatly, especially if the VideoIN and VideoOUT are on the same card, or connected outside of the PCI bus. However, aside from a few select HDTV tuners, that technology is the sole domain of the Windows Based PC, infact, Macs have not had "direct" or "real" video inputs since the Beige G3, and they were standard on the later 8600 and 9600 series Power Macs.

However, Might I suggest that you purchase an LCD Monitor that accepts multiple inputs, and even has a TV tuner for this use, as you will enjoy it much better, albeit at a higher cost than the eyeTV.

3. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Also, in addition to potential latency, the typical, low-res, console game won't look very good on your 20" LCD since its native resolution is so high, compared to what the console will output. The monitor will have to upscale the picture a great deal, and the result won't be pretty.
  4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    I use my StudioDV, which works OK, but then again, 1.5Ghz G4, so that should be expected :p
  5. swy32x macrumors regular

Mar 20, 2005
    I use my PS2 on my iMac G5 through an eyeTV USB 2.0 Wonder.

Works fine, no lag, but the picture is a bit crap because I'm not using S-Video.