Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcperrot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
I got a new job recently and am getting a work number on an iPhone 5, but I don't want to get rid of my old phone number and they won't let me port it to the work phone. I've been doing a lot of research and I think I've come to a good resolution, and I'm hoping you might be able to point out any issues I've overlooked?

I currently have an iPhone 4S on my personal number. I was going to cancel that, and port the number to Line2. I'm looking at purchasing an iPad mini LTE (to replace my iPad 3 Wifi) with a data plan, then setting the Line2 account up on the iPad mini and the iPhone 5.

I was also wondering, if I do end up losing that job (I might go travelling in the summer, and I don't know if they'll let me take a leave), would I be able to take the nano sim card out of the iPad mini and put it in the iPhone to still have data, then use Line2 for my calling and messaging? That would allow me to still have a connection if I want to take the iPhone places where I don't want to take the iPad mini.

Does this seem feasible to you?

vjim

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
I got a new job recently and am getting a work number on an iPhone 5, but I don't want to get rid of my old phone number and they won't let me port it to the work phone. I've been doing a lot of research and I think I've come to a good resolution, and I'm hoping you might be able to point out any issues I've overlooked?

I currently have an iPhone 4S on my personal number. I was going to cancel that, and port the number to Line2. I'm looking at purchasing an iPad mini LTE (to replace my iPad 3 Wifi) with a data plan, then setting the Line2 account up on the iPad mini and the iPhone 5.

I was also wondering, if I do end up losing that job (I might go travelling in the summer, and I don't know if they'll let me take a leave), would I be able to take the nano sim card out of the iPad mini and put it in the iPhone to still have data, then use Line2 for my calling and messaging? That would allow me to still have a connection if I want to take the iPhone places where I don't want to take the iPad mini.

Does this seem feasible to you?

Yes you can use the iPad mini's nano sim data plan in an iPhone 5, but you need to download the APN from unlockit.co.nz and dload AT&T Broadband. But only 4G will work. LTE does not work. thats my current set up right now.

marcperrot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
Yes you can use the iPad mini's nano sim data plan in an iPhone 5, but you need to download the APN from unlockit.co.nz and dload AT&T Broadband. But only 4G will work. LTE does not work. thats my current set up right now.

I'm in Canada, not the US. Still possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.