can i use itunes gift card to buy apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by soni2926, Nov 7, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Jul 31, 2008
    i'd like to create an itunes account, without using my cc, looks like i can do it also using a gift card. if i buy a gift card, will i be able to also buy apps for my iphone or just music? i'm in the US.

2. macrumors 6502

Nov 5, 2008
    in the US, yes you can use gift card/iTunes account balance to buy apps.

but it varies depdending on country
    e.g. unfortunately in Canada, apps can only be bought with credit card. :mad:
  3. macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2008
    in a swag
    I don't have a cc so thank god u can buy apps with a gift card. I think it's stupid you can't create an account with out signing up for some kind of payment method (cc or gift card). What if someone just wants free apps?
  4. macrumors 65816

Sep 20, 2008
    Bloomington, Illinois
    I seriously suggest you use the Live Cashback method to purchase a $200 gift card on iTunes for ~70 and ~50 USD after cash back.

I don't mean to promote, but I summed it up on my blog:

There is also a long thread in here somewhere. I bought one yesterday from brandee2. I got the code immediately, followed instructions, and it was credited immediately.
    Listings for brandee2. These are USA codes.

I hope this gives you some information. Note: I have no affiliation with brandee2.

P.S. You don't need a credit card; Sign up for Paypal with your bank account if you have one.
  5. macrumors 6502

Sep 29, 2008
    Yes, definitely buy the cards from eBay at a significant discount. I just got a $200 gift card for $75 plus Live Search cash back for additional ~$18 something off.
  6. macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2009
    actually i made an itunes account without using a cc or giftcard, you just go to the app store and find a free app, (probably facebook, its the most common) and click on the install button, then when it asks you to log in, there is an option to "creat a new account", then fill in all the info and where it says payment method there is an option for none (because its a free app) then you have your account.