can I use my ibook dvd drive to install apps onto my G4 power mac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by matty108, Jan 27, 2007.

1. matty108 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a g3 dual usb ibook that has a DVD/CD drive, 640 ram and a firewire port. I just bought a G4 800 mhz tower that has a gig of ram, but it does not have DVD drive (it's a cdrw only). My Ilife install disk is a DVD, is there anyway to use the DVD drive on my ibook to install software onto the G4 tower? Both devices have firewire but if possible I would like to use an ethernet cable connection between the two. I dont have the correct firewire cable(it's expensive).
    A second question is i an os 10.3 on my ibook and 10.4 on my G4 tower. Is there a easy way to transfer all my files, settings, ect... from the ibook to the G4 tower? I don have the osx 10.4 install discs either (if that matters). Thanks
    matt

2. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

i think you're going to have to use firewire and put one of them in target mode. i don't see how you're going to be able to do it with ethernet -- of course i've been wrong before.
    go ahead and bite the bullet for the firewire cable -- you're going to need it for so many things. it makes life simple.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

I second that. Connect six pin to six pin firewire, hold down "T" on restart for one of the computers and then transfer that way.

Ethernet can transfer files, but it can't run installers, just to let you know.