Can I use my iBook install disc on my iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RobotCaptain, Feb 27, 2006.

1. RobotCaptain macrumors newbie

RobotCaptain

Hello.

I bought an iMac two years ago; it came with Mac OS X 10.3, Panther.

I then bought a 12" iBook in July of '05. It came with Mac OS X 10.4, Tiger.

My question, then: Is it possible to use my Tiger install disc in my iMac, thus updating from Panther to Tiger, or will it totally screw things up? Is the install disc somehow tailored only for use with an iBook?

Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Like Mad Jew said, the OSX Install Discs are made specific for the computers that they ship with. I was in a situation a while ago where I lost my Mac Mini install CD and tried using my iBook CD, but it didnt work.

You would receive a message such as "This operating system can not be installed on this computer"

4. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Dude, you asked this over at Macforums.com as well..

I told you that you ought not to, another guy said his worked. Aside from being illegal, you never know what COULD happen.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just to clarify, it used to work with older versions of OSX but it does not work with newer versions (post Jaguar). Nevertheless, it is illegal and a violation of Apple's End User Agreement. :(

6. RobotCaptain thread starter macrumors newbie

RobotCaptain

Could you send me a link the the question that was asked on Macforums.com? I can't seem to find the forums on that site.