Can I use My Mac remote with Power Point in Windows or OS X?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by belsokar, Sep 20, 2006.

1. belsokar macrumors member

I'm looking to do a presentation using my mac book pro remote that came with the computer...it doesn't seem to work with power point in OSX...is there a way to make that work?

Also,...can I get it to work with PowerPoint in windows xp using bootcamp?

Finally, if none of these solutions works, is there an apple presentation package that will import a power point presentation and allow me to use the apple remote?

thanks!

2. mufflon macrumors 6502

well keynote does the trick clickety, most systems should come bundled with it / with a trial version (which is able to read powerpoint presentations, but being trial, won't be able to save)

works well for what you're suggesting

3. NJuul macrumors 6502

There is a few freeware/shareware programs that allows you to customize your apple remote in OS X, but I can't remember the names. Do a search in the forums, there are a several threads describing how to use the remote with non-apple programs. Don't know about XP though...
    As suggested, try out Keynote. You might even like it better than powerpoint!
    It's pretty good...:cool:

4. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

The latest issue of iCreate magazine talks about how to do this and also has a shareware version of the application. I found it at my local Borders.

5. colorblind macrumors newbie

Powerpoint w/ Mac Remote in XP

I just got the my mac remote working with Powerpoint in XP, so I'd thought I'd let you guys know how to go about it.

First, go and get EventGhost (http://www.eventghost.org). It's an open-source program that lets you intercept IR signals and assign commands to them.

Once you have it up and running, you can clear all the predefined settings and plugins. All you need to add is the HID plugin and select the Apple IR port. The last thing you need to do is add commands for left- and right-keypresses, but that's all explained in the EventGhost manual.

Of course this isn't limited to PowerPoint only; but that's what I'll be using it for mostly.

6. colorspace macrumors 6502

7. mviverette macrumors newbie

Can you be more clear on how to do this? I got it up and running and added the HID plugin, but now I'm lost.

8. rryk macrumors newbie

Follow these steps:
    1. Select Configuration->Add Macro...
    2. Select Window->Emulate keystroke, click on OK
    3. Select key to be assigned (e.g. Space for advancing to the next slide). You can use Special key tool to insert other than alphanumeric keys.
    4. Click OK
    5. Select created macro in the list
    6. Click on the button on the remote that you want to associate with that key that you have selected
    7. Select Configuration->Add Event...
    8. Button name should be already filled in. Just click OK