Can I use my MacBook Pro without battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samratm, Jan 16, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

samratm

Hello,

I want to use my MacBook Pro extensively for my day to day use, so I don't think running my MBP on battery with the power cord plugged in is always advisable.

Is it possible to remove the battery and run my MBP with power cord plugged in ?

Is this safe??

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

3. macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

its really hard to remove the battery (i.e you have to remove the whole bottom of the unibody). i would say its not that much of a problem to use the power supply. if your battery dies then just let apple replace it. no big deal.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

samratm

Apple doesn't replaces battery for free and my MBP is out of warranty.

5. macrumors 603

The battery cycles itself be letting itself uncharge to 95% and back up to 100% on a regular basis. If you unplug the MBP once in a while for an hour or two or if you bring it with you to watch TV on the couch it's fine.

You can keep it plugged in at all times without damaging the battery all that much, just try and think to unplug it for a few hours once in a while to keep the electrons moving and you'll be perfectly fine. My pre-unibody MBP has been plugged in 75% of it's life and the battery health still shows 80%.

6. macrumors Core

miles01110

Right. Sometimes you have to spend money to have things replaced.

7. macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Thats what normal batteries do, but i remember seeing a video on apples website about their new batteries (the ones in the Macbooks now) saying that once the battery was at 100% it stopped charging the battery and just devotes the power to the computer when using it... ill see if I can find the video about it..

8. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. Read the FAQ (link in 2nd post in this thread) and play special attention to the section "CHARGING".