Can I Use My PB To Make a Phone Call?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mason, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Mason macrumors regular

Aug 21, 2003
    I just got TiVo, and to make the initial set up, the box needs to make a toll-free phone call. However, I only have a cell phone - I don't have a regular land line. I'd rather not have to drag the TiVo to a friend's house, and so I was wondering whether there is any way I can use my powerbook to make this call. I can't imagine that there is, but I thought I might ask before I go hauling everything over to my buddy's house.

Thanks in advance.
  2. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    Doesn't a TIVO need to be connected to a phone line all the time to retrieve data? If you want to use your PowerBook as a phone line you can go VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) But thats gonna cost money. If your PowerBook is gonna dial out anyways don't you need a phone line anyways?
  3. Mason thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 21, 2003
    The weird thing about TiVo is that you only need a phone line to make the initial set-up. Once the box is set up, TiVo can use a broadband connection to get its weekly data retrievals. Therefore, all I need is a one-time ability for my powerbook to provide a dialtone for the TiVo.
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Not sure if it's going to work for your needs but check out Skype, it'll cost you money but not much.
  5. Mason thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 21, 2003

Thanks for the input. After browsing the TiVo forums I was able to find a way to do the initial set up with the broadband connection. For those interested: all you have to do is get a usb/ethernet adapter and then set the phone prefix as ",#401" - that's all it takes. I don't understand why TiVo doesn't just tell people they can do that.

Thanks to all that considered my question.