Can I use my VPC license for Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Stoodlico, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Stoodlico macrumors newbie

Hi,

I use AutoCad on a Windows machine and just bought a new iMac so I can get rid of my PC. I also have a powerbook which runs XP via virtual PC. My question is whether I need a new version of Windows to put on the new iMac or whether my VPC license is sufficient? And if so, would I be able to install from the VPC disk?

Excuse my ignorance, license agreements aren't my specialty.

Thanks

2. imacintel macrumors 68000

It is illegal. It is the same as using your old dellrestore disks. It is an OEM license, which means it has to be tied to one machine.:)

3. Stoodlico thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair enough. But as I'll no longer be using VPC and will remove that from my Powerbook am I able to transfer the license for use on the new machine? Or is that illegal since I've previously installed it on a different machine?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I actually reckon it'd be legal but still not possible. I don't think Boot Camp will work with the VPC disc. I guess it's worth a shot though. :)

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Read the EULA for your specific license. It may, or not, grant you transfer rights...

In general OEM licenses do not.

B

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not sure what Australian law says about that sort of thing, but it wouldn't surprise me if you're allowed to use it.

7. Stoodlico thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I obviously don't want to have to buy a new version of Windows if I don't have to, but it sounds like that's the case. Thanks again.

8. HugMnster macrumors member

With microsoft they want your money so they say its illegal to reinstall windows on a new machine. They tie the current copy you have for a machine to that machine no matter what happens to it. Not right really if its dead it should be able to be used on a new machine but then thats microsoft for you greedy greedy greedy.

Nuthing to keep you from reusing it just illegal according to them.

jack

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

But full packaged product or volume license copies of WIndows and ou can transfer them to your heart's content. Take advantage of the OEM discounts and lock yourself to a particular machine. It may be greedy, but there is a choice in the matter...

B

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I would've thought VPC was in a different league because it's not really technically bundled with a specific machine, but rather a virtual machine. nevertheless, I don't think the VPC discs have a chance of working with Boot Camp in the first place. :(

11. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

I've seen some posts somewhere else that people have been able to get XP CD's from Microsoft for about $30 using the XP license from VPC. Was planning to do this as soon as I can find my license. YMMV.