Can I use old iphone 4s on Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by juniorsamples, Dec 31, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

A relative recently upgraded to an iphone5. She still has her old 4 that is still in pretty good shape, and has offered it to us for free.

My wife still has a plain ole, simple flip phone.

Can we change my wife's number to the 4 with Verizon on a shared plan?

Thank you and best wishes!

2. macrumors 6502

Yes you can but Verizon will charge you for the smartphone, an extra $30 a month.

3. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is the 4S originally from Verizon? As far as I know, Verizon won't activate a non-Verizon phone.

4. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

I passed my 4 down to my daughter. It added $10 a month to her plan ( dumb phone to smart phone) plus another $10 for the data plan.

5. macrumors 603

1) Is this an iPhone 4 or 4S? Huge difference in this realm. The 4 is carrier specific. The 4S is the same hardware for all carriers but is locked by most of the carriers.

2) As others mentioned, you'll get charged more going from a crap -- sorry, I meant SIMPLE -- phone to a smartphone. It depends n your plan. I know the new share plans are $30 per regular phone, $40 per smartphone, meaning another $10 to you. On the old family plans, you keep the same minutes but have to purchase another data plan for $30/month.

If you do add your wife, I would consider the shared plan. I think 2 GB would run you $140, which includes unlimited talk and text plus use of the mobile hot spot feature.

If its an iPhone 4 you are talking about and it's incompatible but your wife still wants an iPhone, you can get a 4 for free with a two year contract. You can probably find a refurb 4S for $49 if you look hard.

6. macrumors member

Yes, you can use verizon network, but it seems to be more costly and less speedy than AT & T.

7. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

So what did you end up doing.