Can I use PowerBook RAM in an iBook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dcv, Jul 7, 2005.

1. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    I have recently purchased a 12 inch Powerbook (comes with 512MB RAM as 2x256). My sister has just purchased a 12 inch iBook (with 256MB RAM). She won't be using it for anything intensive, just the usual web browsing, email, itunes and office apps, so initially 256MB might be enough but I think she should probably upgrade it to 512.

If I decide to upgrade the RAM on my machine, then can I give her the spare 256mb stick from my Powerbook? The PB RAM is DDR PC2700 (whatever that means) whereas the iBook takes PC2100. I'm sure I heard somewhere that you 'can' use it, but would this give worse performance than buying the PC2100 because it doesn't match the built-in module?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!
  2. Tilmitt macrumors member

Apr 30, 2005
    You can use it and performace will be exactly the same. Have fun getting your RAM.
  3. SchmoBurger macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2005
    Higher spec RAM is, in most cases, backwards compatible with lower spec modules, but generally not the other way round. It is usually relative to the bus speed of the machine.

An iBook with a 100mhz bus can use PC-100 or PC-133 ram, but not PC-66 as the ram is too slow.

A G4 with a 133mhz bus has to have PC-133 installed, as PC-100 is too slow for the bus.

I'm pretty sure the same holds true for DDR-RAM, although, some Wintel boxes will automatically adjust the bus speed to suit the speed of the slowest RAM module, whilst also adjusting the CPU clock multiplier to maintain the CPU clock speed... I'm not certain if macs do the same, however.

Either way though, you can use PC-2700 in a machine designed to use PC-2100.
  4. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2005
    Virginia, U.S.A.
    Briefly... Yes.

Have you tried Coke Zero? The vanilla-flavored Cokes never caught on with me, and regular Diet Coke is something you truly need a taste for to appreciate.
  5. looklost macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Love diet vanilla coke, and I have tried coke zero and think it's the best tasting regular(non flavored) diet cola out there.
  6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    The 12" Powerbook only has one RAM slot. Therefore you could only remove one of those 256MB chips, but it should work fine in the iBook.
  7. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    Thank you all for the responses. I'll try the RAM out in the iBook.

As for Coke Zero - I've not heard of it, not sure if that's available in the UK...