Can I use this LaCie DVD writer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jackonicko, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Jackonicko macrumors newbie

I've been given a LaCie (FA Porsche) DVD±RW 4x double layer 8.5 GB USB2 DVD writer, without software. It was obviously intended for PC use, but it can be used as a DVD ROM drive on the Mac as is, what would I need to use it for burning data DVDs, if that is possible, and where might I obtain that in the UK?

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

If your Mac is a G4 733mhz system then yes it'll burn dvds but little bit slower since its usb 2.0 .. if you got iLife 06 too then iDvd might see the drive then you can use iDvd to burn if not then, If the drive shows up you could use the finder burn feature :eek: :eek:

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The drive is probably supported through PatchBurn, a utility that allows third-party optical media writers to be used with the built-in burning capabilities of OS X (Finder, Disk Utility, etc.) and iTunes. The new iDVD '06 supports third-party drives by default without PatchBurn (as does DVD Studio Pro, I believe), but for the other stuff you'll probably still need it.

4. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Apple supports third Party natively since Tiger and iLive'05. I pretty sure you are good to go. You could always check out lacie's website and there is always patchburn as mentioned before.