Can I use unlocked iPhone in USA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdylan, Jul 12, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

jdylan

Hi, this might be a dumb question to you in the states, but I'll be back in the states for 6 months and don't want to get stuck in this stupid 2-year contract thing. I am bringing my unlocked iPhone 3G and am wondering...is there a company I can buy a prepaid SIM card and use in my iPhone for a few months? I know a website "www.mrsimcard.com" sells one, though I think it is a ripoff. $80 for a SIM that I have to buy credit for? Is that a good price? I paid $10 for mine.

I have a SIM card now, but I'm quite sure it won't work in the states, and I wouldn't want to with roaming. What do people with bad credit do in the states, those who are unable to pass the credit check?

2. macrumors G3

Hate to break it to you, but subsidized contracts are pretty standard the world over. That being said you have get prepaid AT&T or TMobile, but TMobile will not get you 3G just Edge.

3. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

There are several companies that sell pay-as-you-go services, however many use CDMA instead of GSM. They all sell you a phone in addition. Some are only a few dollars for the Phone and SIM, others are bit higher. You can walk into nearly any store in the US and buy a pre-paid phone, just make sure it is GSM, then remove the SIM and stick it in your iPhone.

TEG

4. macrumors regular

5. thread starter macrumors regular

jdylan

Cool

Cool, I didn't think of that!

6. thread starter macrumors regular

jdylan

7. thread starter macrumors regular

jdylan

Uh oh

Except I'd have to buy a phone....

8. macrumors 601

You can buy a SIM from any of such carriers online. I once bought an AT&T SIM and activated it online with a GoPhone account, then popped it into my iPhone. No problems with that whatsoever; it ended up costing something along the lines of $2.50.