Can iChat be used to chat with a Windows user?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeMacPL, Apr 14, 2009.

1. macrumors member

I recently bought a iMac and I'm still learning how to use this OS. The question is can I use iChat to chat with someone using a Windows PC or do I need to install something like Skype?
    Also when I chat, is there a way to screengrab something so I can show something over the webcam?

2. Guest

Benguitar

Yes it can indeed. If they are using AIM. ;)

Edit-

No you can't show a PC user something using "screen share" but you can video chat with them.

3. macrumors regular

You can also chat with people that use google-talk, and a host of other windows/linux based IM chat application. No voice chat on google-talk though, well not that I've been able to work out :mad:

4. macrumors 6502

cdcastillo

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You need to understand the difference between IM clients and IM networks.

iChat is a Client, the same as Adium, Skype, gTalk, AIM, Mercury, MSN Messenger, Yahoo messenger, etc.

Now, an IM network is different. Altough many networks share their name with their client, e.g., skype, MSN, Yahoo, etc, they should not be misstaken.

Now, by default you can use iChat (client) on AOL IM network (the same network as mobileme), Google talk network and any Jabber network (or server, I won't go into much detail here because I could get all confused).

Adium (free IM client) can be used on practically ANY network. On the other hand, MSN Messenger, Skype, and Yahoo Messenger clients can only be used on their own network.

By setting a jabber account on a server that supports MSN and Yahoo transports (think of transports as a way to hijack onto an IM network), you can use iChat with MSN and Yahoo networks (I know this because that's my setup).

Did any of these makes any sense to you? I hope it does, otherwise, tell us so we can try to clarify it.