can Ipod shuffle be used as a flash drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bluemoon, Jan 21, 2005.

1. bluemoon macrumors member

well... the ipod shuffle really looks enticing... just thinking if it can be used as a flash drive too.... and btw, the current advice is not to get the regular ipod first? i am thinking of getting a regular ipod too...^^ and.. my friend said that with some 3rd party software, the ipod can be run as an additional harddisk... is it true?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Both the Shuffle & the iPod can be used for data storage.

3. denm316 macrumors 6502

There is a setting in the shuffle to select how much you want to use for music and how much for storage.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So is that a departure from the way the iPod works -- it's not dynamically assigned? Well, I guess there's no Firewire Target Drive mode. Hmmm...which makes me wonder how storage mode works on an iPod with USB.... Hmmm...

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

like the bigger iPods the shuffle holds everything in one partition (the music on the big pod is just hidden). for the purposes of shoving as much music as it can on to the shuffle using autofill, itunes gives you the option of setting exactly how much space you want used for music. therefore the space you have left can be used for files.

6. bluemoon thread starter macrumors member