Can iPod sound play through Apple BT headset?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by slffl, Aug 9, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

slffl

With the Apple BT headset, does the iPod sound play through it? Or does it only work with the phone application? What about Visual Voicemail?

Thanks

2. macrumors 6502

loudestnoise

I'm pretty sure no music via any headset with Bluetooth. Visual Voicemail is a yes, when a headset is connected to iPhone your speaker button changes to an audio button and allows you to select output.

3. macrumors regular

It's a question of supported technology. The iPhone (currently) does not support the A2DP Bluetooth standard, which is the necessary technology to enable Bluetooth stereo... such that one could have bluetooth headsets and headphones capable of working with the phone *and* the iPod.

That said, the iPhone is reported to contain the correct chipsets to support A2DP.... so, it's something we will hopefully see in a future firmware update... likely, once Apple has had time to come up with their own A2DP headset/headphone line.

4. macrumors 6502

loudestnoise

5. macrumors regular

I tried this w/the JawBone we're reviewing and it works as described. The audio comes out of the speaker and the bluetooth at the same time. Not the best experience, for the user or those around.

It did get me to wondering if a snipped-off headphone (like a cheapy pair) to only have the plug would work around this... plugging the dead-end into the headphone jack and then trying the hack. If it works, the sound would come out of the blutetooth, as desired, but not be audible through the speaker because the dead-end is plugged in. Hmmm...

6. macrumors 6502

CADer

SO did this work???

7. macrumors 601

It's not a hack. Open Visual Voice mail, choose Audio -> Bluetooth headset and then press the home button and go to iPod.

8. macrumors 6502

of course you can... i already used to listen music with my iphone.

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

slffl

Well heres hoping they add it. I don't even need stereo, mono is fine, I just want to listen to Seinfeld through the BT headset, is that too much to ask :)

10. macrumors 6502

As soon as you plug in a dead end or a headset it cuts audio to the speaker and the headset.