Can iSight be used as a microphone?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sphereboy, Oct 17, 2003.

1. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

I was wondering if anyone knew if i can use the iSight as an audio input microphone, of course as well as the video.

For example, to input voice commands.

Thanks.

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

uhhuh. and where does it answer his question?

for the record, i don't know. but i doubt it-- i don't know how well firewire devices work to capture audio in. but it would be an excellent move, as it could give you much better results with voice recognition...

on second thought, maybe. seems like an apple thing to do...

pnw

4. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

funny how people go out of their way to be lazy.

on the other side, thanks Paul for your response. much appreciated.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

looks like someone else is wondering too, on the Apple discussions this is given as a solution:

I have no idea what that means. I can't really try it as I don't have an iSight. but try downloading it, see if you can select the input device they list...

:)
    pnw

6. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

good news: there might be a solution.

bad news: i don't have an iSight either.

i need a microphone. unfortunately, i have the G4 that came without a microphone input jack. so i need a USB microphone. but instead of spending $40 on just a mic. i'd rather get the iSight .. and maybe get both mic and cam.

any other iSight users out there can try this would be cool!.

7. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

It doesn't seem like iSight can be used as a microphone for voice commands at the moment. But it certainly seems like an ideal functionality that could be had from iSight.

I wonder if Panther will support such functionality? Ability to record sound using OS has been missing since OS 9 and I'm sure some of us would like to see it return? Using iSight as a microphone perhaps?

8. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

it might as well.

i just want to talk **** into my mic and be able to log it into text. that would be great.

9. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I just tooled around with it for a bit, and it doesn't seem to be. I did an Audio Chat, with the lens both open and closed, but in both cases it used my PowerBook's built-in microphone. There's probably a way, I just don't know it.

10. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

I just assumed you could record sound on the Mac. I, obviously, have never tried it. Well that sort of sucks. I used MusicMatch Jukebox once and it has a "record" button built right in. It was kind of cool. Is there any way you can record your voice on iMovie and then export it?

SphereBoy: Have you tried one of those headsets with the mic attached? Like what a receptionist wears? I've used them before on my PC. They're dirt cheap, too.

Squire

11. doubting_me macrumors newbie

of course it works

It does fully explain this on the iSight page, but the iSight does work as a microphone. If you want to use it as in iChat A/V as microphone only, just go to the preferences, select video and switch the device the Mac uses for Audio.

If you want to use speakable items do the same thing.

12. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Re: of course it works

I think you mean System Preferences. I went to System Preferences, selected Sound, selected Input, and then selected iSight/FireWire. Works like a charm.

As for recording programs, I found a couple decent ones on Download.com:

WireTap

Audiocorder

AudioX

Hope this helps!

13. tj2001 macrumors regular

Seriously Confused....

I'm reading mixed outcomes here regarding this matter. Has anyone figured out what or how to. I mean what gives here... I love apple but for the iSight not to be functional in speakable items is quite odd.

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yes, it definitely works.

Select the iSight in System Prefs>Sound (Input tab).
    Enable speech input in System Prefs>Speech (Speech recognition tab, On/Off tab).

15. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

One would think you'd be able to use it either or audio or video but seems like it's only a combination of the two.

16. tj2001 macrumors regular

You're absolutely right! What is weird is that on my wife's iBook the disc for speakable items has a input level to show you your gain.

Though it is working! so that's great!