Can iSight watch me unaware?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacVault, Feb 1, 2007.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

I just bought a new MacBook. My wife insists I cover up the iSight with paper or something when not in use. Is there any way the iSight can be on and watching without at least alerting you to it with the green light next to it? I mean is it like if the iSight is "powered" the green LED will also be powered - in a "hard-wired" sort of way???

My wife was also worried about the microphone listening in on us. So for the mic I said ok, go to System Prefs -> Sound -> and lower the Mic input volume all the way. Well it still registers the audio level when we talk or snap our fingers! We're both SHOCKED! Isn't there any way to really TURN THE MIC OFF in the software?

My wife heard that Google has plans to listen in on everyone with a Mic. Now she thinks they might be watching too.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Any proof out there either way on these concerns???

2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Err, no unless the green light breaks.

No offense, but did you guys have a bad expierence or something?

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think you should both refrain from watching "24" or "LOST" or any other number of current television offerings. ;)

Honestly though, computers have had built-in mics for years and never really had issues (I think). And I do think it's been brought up before, but the iSight's green light has to be on in order for the camera to work*.

*note, I've no personal experience w/ iSights, just what I've read here on MR.

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Don't bring it into the bedroom. You'll be fine.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

That google thing is a plan/rumor about the search giant possibly-maybe-considering-thinking about listening to what you're talking about for targeted adverts (e.g. you say 'what film should we see', an ad for Harry Potter)...it has by no means happened yet...

6. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

No, not 24 - Jack Bauer is a joke.
    This is more along the lines of what we've been watching.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It's not like Macs have even had a virus, much less been hacked into to display a video feed back to some criminal/pervert mastermind.

My thoughts: Stop hanging around Mel Gibson.

[​IMG]

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For what it's worth, the only ways a web browser can access your webcam are via a Java or Flash embed. I know Flash has a built-in standard prompt that lets the user know and accept/reject the embedded object's request. With Java... I'm not 100% certain, but I think it might require a signed/certified applet, and the process where you accept the activation of the applet would give you a check and balance.

But seriously... meh. Cover it with tape if you want, but it protects you about as much as wrapping your head in foil protects you from the alien brain readers.

9. shecky Guest

shecky

it not only can...

... it DOES.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That's why I'm still safe. :p *crinkle*

11. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

HAHA.. agreed.

yeah i wouldnt be worried. when the isight is in use, the light is on. its that simple.

12. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Speaking of tinfoil hats, and Mel Gibson, and aliens:

[​IMG]

13. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, really... Like when one country preempts another country on the other side of the world, it's because of... ah, yea, you get the point. :D

Do you really beleive every official story???

14. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Just to be safe, don't get naked in front of your computer.

15. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Just to be safe, send your wife to a therapist about her irrational paranoia. :rolleyes:

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Is he trying to stop those pesky Jews from infecting his kids minds with their anti-Nazi propganda?

:D

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Can you speak up a bit, and turn a light on, too? It's really hard to make out what you're up to.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This has worried me from time to time. When I have the other pimps, murderers and terrorists are round for a game of cards I do worry about who's watching. I mean I shut the blinds but the enemy is within now.

19. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

That is one of the funniest things I have heard all year.

Seriously, if you're that much of a outside-the-box conspiracy theorist spank me with my george orwell the president is just a puppet some super secret ultra weathly group really controls the whole world yada yada yada - then an iSight or a mic is really the least of your problems as they've already got everything on you and have you right where they need you if they ever do you're already on the list got a file and they've already catalogued this thread.

Question is if any or all of that is in any way true, should that really change how you live your life, what you gonna do about, cause bet your bottom dollar, right around the time you started, poop, you'd just disappear like a no longer needed dock icon.

20. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

I notice you have your location as Planet Earth. You may want to update your profile. ;)

21. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Sheesh... might as well go back to a pen and paper so...

22. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I always get naked in front of my computer, it even watches me sleep.

23. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374