Can iTunes burn CD TEXT CD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wheezy, Feb 6, 2006.

1. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Hi, my new car has a CD TEXT player and I would like to take advantage of that, but can't figure out if iTunes can burn a CD to do that. So far I've used Toast, but I can't burn any of the Protected AAC's in toast....

Help or ideas?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm not sure I know what a TEXT CD is. I know you can opt to burn a DATA CD from the iTunes preferences, in the Advanced tab under Burning. :)

3. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Sadly iTunes doesn't have any capability to do that. Shame because its a cool feature that isn't widely known. Hell I only found out about it when a friend gave me a mix CD and my CD player put up the song names on the display. I never knew it could do anything like that!

4. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Nero on windows does CD text - thats the only app iv found that does it. However, I now have an MP3 player in my car so they come up by default :)

F

5. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

Well...I just picked up a new car, I have a Nano and tape thing, the car has a tape deck, but the face has to fold down to access it. It'll play the tape with the face down, but I worry that the face will just fold back up after awhile and suddenly I'll have trouble I don't want. So, for the meantime, I'll just use CD's until I get a different option. I was just hoping to use CD TEXT. It's just a cool bonus....

I have Roxio Toast and it does CD TEXT, but it won't burn my protected AAC's...I'll need to get around that.

Thanks folks!

6. Greenjeens macrumors regular

I use Toast for CD text. The reason iTunes doesn't do CD text is because the "disc at once" method is required. iTunes uses "track as once" when burning from playlists.
    Forgot where I read this little morsel of info (think it was here on the itunes forum?), but it explains why there's no CD text support for iTunes.

Whenever I purchase a iTunes music store AAC protected file, I immediatley burn it to CD-RW then re-import it, just to get rid of the DRM copy protection. So that file can be manipulated like other music files.

-
    dave

7. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

Once you burn the track to a CD, you could then use the audio file off the CD directly. You don't necessarily have to reimport to MP3/AAC and reburn (which would lose audio quality).

You could work with the raw audio file and use Toast (or Nero) to reburn with the CD-Text info added. That way you are only converting from lossy compression to CD-audio once.

8. Greenjeens macrumors regular

Good point, I failed to mention i import as everything as Apple Lossless to avoid degradation.

It's a little convoluted to got from AAC DRM to .aiff on the CD-R then back to Apple Lossless, but I only do those with the few iTunes songs i purchase, mostly to avoid DRM tracking issues.