Can iTunes import iPhoto Slideshow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imacdaddy, Jan 31, 2007.

1. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

I'm asking this question because I have many slideshows created in iPhoto. If :apple: TV only plays what's in iTunes and there's no way to import iPhoto slideshows to iTunes...then :apple: TV has its limitations for me.

Does anyone know if iTunes can import iPhoto slideshows?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think you can view Photos on :apple: TV, if it's anything like FrontRow. You should be able to browse to it like you would any other Photo Album, I expect. You mightn't need to go through iTunes at all.

3. imacdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I know, :apple: TV syncs and plays what is ONLY in your iTunes library, whether it be music, videos or photos. I haven't tried, but I don't think you can import iPhoto slideshow. If FrontRow on the :apple: TV can browse to my iPhoto slideshow that would solve my problems. But I think the FrontRow on :apple: TV is just an interface to the iTunes library on your Mac/PC.

4. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Doesn't the :apple: TV have a screensaver where it just starts slideshowing your photos? I'm sure they're going to let you manually select a slideshow...

5. imacdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think :apple:tv slideshow is like how the 5th gen iPod does slideshows. I don't want to recreate all the slideshows in my iPhoto.

I'm a little confused though. On the :apple:tv main page it says...

What’s on TV? Whatever you want.
    Apple TV puts your iTunes library — movies, TV shows, music, and podcasts — plus movie trailers from Apple.com on your TV. And your digital photos from iPhoto on a Mac or Adobe Photoshop Elements or Adobe Album on a Windows PC appear in high definition, so you can put on a stunning big-screen slideshow.

Tech Spec

5. Photo capacity based on Apple TV-viewable photos transferred from iTunes

So I have to transfer ALL my photos from iPhoto to iTunes and perhaps resize them all so that they are :apple:tv viewable? Something tells me I will have resized copies of the photos...totalling 3 copies (original, iPhoto copy, iTunes copy). :confused:

I guess I'll just have to wait until this thing ships and a review to address these questions.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I read what you quoted as saying that iPhoto will be directly accessible, that you won't need to make another copy. I imagine it's like with my nano, where it can sync up with whatever iPhoto album I like. Just in this case it might play slideshows as well. When it copies photos to my nano I don't think it makes yet another copy within iTunes. I could be mistaken...

Edit: hmm, on the tech specs it doesn't say that RAW files are supported. Maybe there is something fishy going on here.

7. imacdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess its wait and see. I'm debating between an :apple:tv or a mac mini. I really don't want to spend the extra $ on another computer and HDMI to composite converter/cabling. My plasma only does 1080i via composite. I also don't want to recreate all of my slideshows from iPhoto.