Can iTV record off the TV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by princealfie, Jan 10, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Can I use the iTV as a digital video recorder (DVR) for recording shows off the TV line?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

3. bbydon macrumors 6502a

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

yeah - it seems as though it has a bunch of great features, but that its not quite as good as it could be.

I'm wondering if they're planning on adding any recording features to in any time soon - it just makes sense.

D

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The only way Apple could/would do this is by putting a CableCard slot or two into the iTV... then it would be basically a TiVo Series 3.

Analog is dead, so if you want an analog recorder, then go buy one for your computer.

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i thought all tv's have by default an analog output. so does my cable reciever. so what speaks against putting an eye tv like device into the ATV? it would be quite cheap, small, uses little memory (1GB/hr) and the quality is easily good enough to watch the news, tv shows and such.

ahh, of course apple wants you to BUY tv shows, not to record them for free! now i get it.

7. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

andiwm2003, I agree. Without recording capability, this is nothing more than an Airport Express for video. The quality of the output isn't even that great at 720. The appleTV is about as useful as the iPod HiFi... ok, but not a "must have."

8. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Not to mention good luck trying to record something with that ****** remote. Including the same remote that I have for my Macbook is a damn dealbreaker. If its just the same interface as the one on the Macbook, I'll have to pass on this one.