Can iWeb upload Pages to Non-.Mac Addy's?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kardashian, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Hey!

I've been asked to design a basic website for my Dads boss.

I have some experience doing this on Windows, but nothing on the Mac side. Its only a personal website, showing his interest in horses, and stuff like that - mainly his wifes interest.

I thought iWeb would be fine for this? However, will they need to pay for a years .Mac subscription to use iWeb, or can it be uploaded to any web address, provided they own/rent it?

Thanks in advance you brainy lot :)

2. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Yes you can put on a website other than .mac. You may lose some of the features (not many though). Other people on this forum have posted some of there websites that didn't use .mac.

In iWeb it has an option to save the webpage to folder then you just upload this folder to whatever account you have and it should work. You may have to do a few things to get it to link though.

Nuc

Edit: was beaten to it...

5. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thanks very much guys, knew people here could help as always :)

Whats FTP?

So, say for arguments sake they own www.heathershorses.co.uk - after saving my final design in iWeb, what do I do to upload it?

Ta..

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

FTP = File Transfer Protocol. Basically iWeb will produce a folder full of files. You need to upload those files to the space for that website. It would be common to use FTP. You might want to invest in some software to do it, or just use the Terminal!

7. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thanks a lot, Robbie.

I think thats what I'll do. Do I look for domain hosting, its around £24.99 on the site's I have just been on.

I can count on you for help using Terminal, Can I? LOL ;)

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you need help you don't want to do it via the Terminal! You can't just say upload this entire folder updating the changed files! You do it all yourself one file at a time. That's why I'd recommend investing in some other software!